New Cabinet Members Announced, Inauguration Cancelled
- Date of Publication : 21/09/2021 at 09:10 GMT
Some new members of the caretaker cabinet of the Taliban were announced on Tuesday with an effort to ensure inclusivity by adding “minorities” to the cabinet as Zabihullah Mujahid, the deputy minister for information and culture, said.
Mujahid also announced that the inauguration ceremony for the new government was canceled due to their focus on providing service to the people at this point.
Responding to a question on the status of the new cabinet, Mujahid expressed his hope that the international community will recognize their cabinet in near future.
Mujahid also talked about the country’s economic situation and said that the domestic revenues might be enough for basic needs.
“We are using all diplomatic channels to unfreeze the Afghan assets,” Mujahid said.
When asked about the women’s affairs ministry and girls’ education, Mujahid said the caretaker cabinet is working to address women’s demands for work and education.
“We are working to complete the procedures so that girls can resume their education,” he said.
Figures by watchdog organizations show that 153 media outlets have stopped operation in the last month for various reasons, including lack of access to information and budget issues.
However, Mujahid vowed that the Afghan media will be allowed to operate.
“Media are important and we support the media. There have been some problems in provinces that are being addressed,” he added.
He also said the Kabul airport’s main radar was badly damaged and international commercial flights will resume after it is repaired. He added that helicopters at the Kabul airport were destroyed “by American soldiers.”
List of the new members of the caretaker cabinet announced:
• Haji Nooruddin Azizi, acting minister of commerce
• Haji Mohammad Bashir, deputy minister commerce
• Haji Mohammad Azim Sultanzada, deputy minister of commerce
• Qalandar Ebad, acting minister of public health
• Abdulbari Omar, deputy minister of public health
• Mohammad Hassan Ghiasi, deputy minister of public health
• Mullah Mohammad Ibrahim, deputy minister of interior affairs for security
• Mullah Abdul Qayyum Zakir, deputy minister of defense
• Nazar Mohammad Mutmaeen, acting head of the National Olympic Committee
• Mujiburrahman Omar, deputy minister of energy and water
• Ghulam Ghaws, deputy minister of disasters management
• Mohammad Faqir, acting chairman of Central Statistics Authority
• Haji Gul Mohammad, deputy minister borders and tribal affairs
• Gul Zarin Kochai, deputy minister of borders and tribal affairs
• Arsala Kharoti, deputy minister of refugees and repatriation affairs
• Lotfullah Khairkhwa, deputy minister of higher education
• Najibullah, director of the Nuclear Energy Department
The United States and Britain warned their citizens on Monday to avoid hotels in Afghanistan, days after dozens were killed at a mosque in an attack claimed by the Islamic ...
The International criminal Court (ICC) has asked the United Nations Secretary General to assist in identifying who represents Afghanistan in international bodies. The ICC’s judges said the ICC could ...
A number of money changers in Kandahar said they see an increase in smuggling of US dollars out of Afghanistan to some neighboring countries, mainly Pakistan, alarming that it will ...
The two-day meeting between delegates from the United States and the Islamic Emirate in Doha concluded on Sunday after both sides discussed a range of issues. The State Department spokesman ...
3Sport, the only sports TV channel in the country, stopped functioning after nearly one decade due to the economic crisis as well as the imposition of restrictions, said the organization's ...
Trucks carrying humanitarian aid arrived on Saturday in Afghanistan, where poverty and hunger have spiralled following the cutting off of international aid, and the freezing of foreign assets. The Turkish ...
An Afghan woman displaced from Baghlan province to Kabul due to fighting prior to the fall of Kabul, has sold her one and a half years old infant due to ...
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan and Tajikistan President Emomali Rahmon in a phone conversation discussed the situation in Afghanistan, stressing on peace and stability in the county. The conversation took ...
Danish Foreign Minister Jeppe Kofod expressed concerns over the potential of Afghanistan becoming a “terror safe haven," saying that Denmark would work with the world countries to find a way ...
America’s top general held talks with his Russian counterpart on an apparent offer by President Putin to allow US military units to use Russian bases in central Asia to combat ...
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Vershinin and UN Under-Secretary-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs Rosemary DiCarlo addressed regional conflicts, in particular, the recent developments in Afghanistan on the sidelines of the ...
Some new members of the caretaker cabinet of the Taliban were announced on Tuesday with an effort to ensure inclusivity by adding "minorities" to the cabinet as Zabihullah Mujahid, the ...